Free Online Courses from the NYC Housing Preservation and Development
Beginning March 2, 2009, HPD will begin to roll out its new web-based learning program. Each course has been designed to maximize the potential of the online medium. By using workplace scenarios, interactivities and simulations to place the user right into authentic situations, every experience will enhance and assess one’s ability to make consistently good decisions.
Among the free E-Learning Classes available are:
- First Time Property Buyers
* Buying a home with little or no down payment
* Understanding, establishing & repairing your credit
* Determining the monthly mortgage payment you can afford
* Finding the right home for you
* Identify needed house repairs before you buy
* Obtaining expert professional advice on price negotiations and contracts
- Landlords Guide to Lead Safety in New York City (can count toward NYARM cert)
Under Local Law 1 of 2004, passed by the City Council on February 4, 2004, owners of pre-1960 multiple and private dwellings (not owner-occupied) are mandated to identify and correct lead-based paint hazards in dwelling units in which children under the age of seven reside. The law also places certain responsibilities on Owners of post-1960 to pre-1978 buildings in which the owner knows there is lead-based paint Owners must also use lead safe work practices when performing work that involves more than 2 square feetand employ EPA certified workers when performing work that involves more than 100 square feet.
- Bedbug Management
This class will discuss
* What are bed bugs?
* Are bed bugs dangerous?
* How do you know if your home is infested with bed bugs?
* How can you get rid of bed bugs safely?
* Bed bug myths.
The full NYC Housing Preservation and Development class list can be seen here.